Irish Hills are a network of trails, this morning I tried out Kings trail. This is an out and back run that is mostly uphill on the way out. It overlooks shopping centers off of the Madonna exit. As you keep running the trail takes you farther away from the city towards beautiful rolling hills. Whoever named it “Irish Hills,” made no mistake, this trail is the closest I have been to Ireland.
I recommend pacing yourself on the way up in order to get a longer run in. Twenty minutes out works great for the trail.
Directions from 101-S:
- Take exit 201 for Madonna Road
- Continue onto Madonna through Los Osos Valley Road
- The trailhead is at the end of Madonna
- Park on the residential street close to the trailhead
- Once you start your run there is an option of going straight for Mariposa Trail, or left for King Trail. They connect within a few miles.
- Pace yourself, the uphill is a challenge.