Bob Jones Trail
Also known as a City-to-Sea trail, it starts in San Luis Obispo and ends at Avila Beach. I have lived in San Luis Obispo for almost a year and a half and I am not sure how I haven’t heard of this trail until now.
It was the perfect location for a five mile there-and-back run. When you park at the trail head you are sure to see at least ten other cars. It is a bike trail that takes you along Avila Creek, passed Avila Village, through Avila Beach Golf Course, and to Avila Beach itself. When I ran this trail for the first time this morning, there were families walking or biking along the pathway, bikers, runners enjoying the many sights the trail brought. There aren’t too many hills so its a pretty easy run.
For the perfect run with a friend I suggest the following:
- Parking at the trailhead off of Ontario
- Jogging the 2.5 miles to Avila Beach
- Running to the end of the pier and going downstairs to the water (yes you can go underneath the pier)
- Stopping along the trail on your way back at Woodstone Marketplace at Avila Village (it is right along the trail, how convenient)
- Enjoying brunch then walking back to your car at the trailhead
Directions from 101-S:
- Take the Avila Beach exit
- Turn right on Ontario Road
- Drive 0.3 miles and the parking lot is on your right
- Trailhead is across the street
- Enjoy a perfect trail for running, biking, walking, or even rollerblading
If you want more information on the history of the Bob Jones trail click here.